15 August 2007

Contemplating Copenhagen

Yesterday I completed physics, the last of the basic science courses required for application to most medical schools. Now I'm closing the textbooks, leaving the lab, and preparing to spend the next semester in Copenhagen. I'll be in a Medical Practice and Policy program through the Denmark Institute of Study Abroad (DIS). This fall, I'll get the opportunity to focus on subjects larger and more tangible than carbon molecules and spring constants. I'll be studying human health, biomedical ethics, and even learning a few clinical skills at Frederiksberg Hospital. I can't wait.

Right now, most of what I know about Copenhagen comes from the Lonely Planet travel guide to Denmark. The book, which calls Denmark "the epitome of civilised society," focuses on the country's modern design, delicious pastries, and jazz scene. All that, and a statue of the Little Mermaid, too! What more could a girl ask for?



As if I needed another reason to idealize Copenhagen: Take a look at number five, right after macaroni and cheese.

No comments: