16 September 2007

Christiania, the 40-year "Social Experiment"


Last Monday, between Biomedical Ethics and a dinner for students in the Medical Practice and Policy program, my new friend Katie and I explored Christiania. In the 1960s, this neighborhood outside downtown Copenhagen housed a military base. When the base was abandoned, a community of young people moved in and founded a commune. The community is still vibrant and popular today, although I think the population has diminished since its establishment. (Someone told me that you need to be invited to live there, but I'm not sure if it's true.) The Danish government regards Christiania as a continued "social experiment," a label which somehow has allowed a streetful of vendors to continue selling pot from wooden carts for the past forty years.


(Sorry, you're prohibited from taking pictures on "Pusher Street.")


Aside from the obvious sites, Christiania's attractions are kind of limited. Feeling a little disappointed after all hype we'd heard in the halls of DIS, Katie and I wandered back to the Christianhavn metro station. Across the street, we found a bakery flooded with young mothers and giant strollers, selling the most beautiful pastries I've ever seen.


So, we went all the way to a open weed market and all we bought were some gourmet munchies.

No comments: